Prayer & Fasting, week 3
Prayer Focus: Israel
There is a land that God chose above all others. There is a city which has no natural resources, yet virtually every country in the world fights over it. What makes this city and country special? …. God chose Israel and Jerusalem as her eternal capital.
“I am going to make Jerusalem a cup that sends all the surrounding peoples reeling. Judah will be besieged as well as Jerusalem. On that day, when all the nations of the earth are gathered against her, I will make Jerusalem an immovable rock for all the nations. All who try to move it will injure themselves,” Zech 12:2-3.
Yet in spite of all that is happening in Israel, Believers have a strong desire to go there. Why? I often asked tourists, when we were living in Jerusalem, if they had been frightened either to come or to be in Israel, one hundred per cent – regardless of age – replied that they felt they felt very safe and as thought they had come home.
An interesting phenomenon is that many, many believers both Jewish and non-Jewish all comment that they feel as they have returned home when they arrive in Israel. Why? I believe this is because our spirits have returned “home” (to the earthly home of Saviour, our older brother).
In the Bible, there are nearly 800 verses which speak of Jerusalem as “the city of the Great King,” Matt 5:35. Often, He says “The City of the LORD, Zion of the Holy One of Israel” in Ps. 87:5, 149:2; Song 3:11; Isa. 33:14, 33:20; 59:20, 60:14; Jer. 9:19, 30:17; Zech.9:13; etc.
If a parent or teacher says something once, we know we should pay attention, but when our LORD says something 800 times, He has a message we are not to miss: Jerusalem is His City! As much as I love Jerusalem and would absolutely adore to move back, He did not give Jerusalem to me … He gave it to the Jews; it is their home. But, as believers, we have a part in God’s plan for His City and His Land. (On a fiscal level, buy Israeli products, when given the choice.)
On a spiritual level, are we willing to pray 15 minutes a day for Israel?
Here are a couple of great verses upon which to meditate:
- He tells us to pray: “Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: “May they prosper who love you,” Ps 122:6, NASB.
- He calls us to be watchmen: “On your walls, O Jerusalem, I have appointed watchmen; All day and all night they will never keep silent. You who remind the LORD, take no rest for yourselves. And give Him no rest until He establishes And makes Jerusalem a praise in the earth.;” Is 62:6-7 NASB.
- He is bringing Jews back to Israel: “See, I will bring them from the land of the north and gather them from the ends of the earth. Among them will be the blind and the lame, expectant mothers and women in labor; a great throng will return,” Jer 31:8. And “I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’ and to the south, ‘Do not hold them back.’ Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth,” Is 43:6.
- He will bring back so many, there won’t be enough room: “Surely your waste and your desolate places and your devastated land— surely now you will be too narrow for your inhabitants, and those who swallowed you up will be far away. The children of your bereavement will yet say in your ears: ‘The place is too narrow for me; make room for me to dwell in.’ Is 49:19-20.
- He is restoring the fortunes of Israel: “For behold, days are coming,’ declares the Lord, ‘when I will restore the fortunes of My people Israel and Judah.’ The Lord says, ‘I will also bring them back to the land that I gave to their forefathers and they shall possess it.’ Now these are the words which the Lord spoke concerning Israel and concerning Judah,” Jer 30:3-4.
- He will bless the supporters of Israel: “I will bless those who bless the seed of Abraham and whoever curses you, I will curse,” Genesis 12:3a, NIV.
… and let’s not forget to continue praying for healing of the United States and for our loved ones!
- “Precious LORD, thank You for allowing us Believers to have a part in Your plan for Israel and Jerusalem. We intercede for that precious land – give her leaders divine wisdom, give her people protection, give Believers favors and Israelis open heart to hear Your truth, protect that which You have given her. We continue lifting up those for whom we’re praying for physical healing. And turn our country to You – heal our country – bring unity and Your light back into our nation. In the most holy Name of our Messiah, we pray. Amen. ”
IMMEDIATE Prayer Requests:
- Pray for Israel!
- Rhonda: recovery from surgery
- Kerene: new treatment
- Howells: needed sale
- Friend (Georges): healing
- Nieces (Marsha): God’s peace after the death of their father
- Marty Goetz: open heart
- Elin, Tere, Deb, 3-year old Josh: healing.
- PJ: healing on body
- April: Prayer for healing & restoration.
- Individuals in crisis! (inter-relational, emotional, physical) – we need to stand guard against the enemy.
- Protection for pastors.
- Marsha (Rhonda’s friend): friend’s husband & her cousin. Encouragement and peace.
- HEALING and PEACE for all!
- Pray: for ISIS to be stopped; protection of believers.
- Pray: for victims of terror and their families.
- Pray: for those who are in financial or emotional difficulties.
- Pray for America.