Counting the Omer
“You shall also count for yourselves from the day after the sabbath, from the day when you brought in the sheaf [omer] of the wave offering; there shall be seven complete sabbaths. You shall count fifty days to the day after the seventh sabbath; then you shall present a new grain offering to the LORD,” Lev 23:15-16.
“You shall count seven weeks for yourself; you shall begin to count seven weeks from the time you begin to put the sickle to the standing grain. Then you shall celebrate the Feast of Weeks to the LORD your God with a tribute of a freewill offering of your hand, which you shall give just as the LORD your God blesses you,” Deut 16:9-10.
The Torah tells us that we are to count 7 full weeks (7 weeks X 7 days = 49 days). If we count 49 days backwards from the night before Shavuot (Feast of Weeks or Pentecost, 6 Sivan), we will arrive at the 2nd day of Passover (First Fruits; 16 Nisan).
For each of the 49 days between the 2nd day of Passover and Shavuot an offering of barley was brought to the Temple and waved before the altar. These days are called Sefirat HaOmer (סְפִירַת הָעוֹמֶר), or the “counting the sheaves.” The grain offering was referred to as an omer; and when the omer was waved before the Altar, it was called the “waving of the omer,” Lev 23:15-21.
Traditionally, a blessing is recited and the count of the omer is stated each night during this period. For example, the blessing: “Baruch ata Adonai Elohaynu Melech ha-olam* asher kideshanu b’metzvotov v’tzvanu al ha-sefirat ha-omer” is said and, then, on the 1st day, one would say: ‘Today is 1st day of the Omer.’ But, on the 8th day, one would say: ‘This is the 8th day, which is 1 week and 1 day of the Omer.’ (*The English translation of the blessing is: “Blessed are You, O Lord, our God, King of the universe Who sanctifies us with His commandments and commands us to count the omer.”)
The counting is intended to remind us of the link between Passover, which commemorates the Exodus, and Shavu’ot, which commemorates the giving of the Torah. It reminds us that the redemption from slavery was not complete until we received the Torah.
PRAYER: “Father, we thank You for having let us witness the reunification of Your Holy City, 50 years ago. Thank You that one day we will be able to fulfill Your injunction of sojourning to Your Temple in Jerusalem for Shavu’ot. We pray for Your sovereign direction and wisdom for Pres Trump and his entourage. There will be no announcements nor will anything will be said on the part of the US that is contrary to Your divine Word. Bring Your Spirit to rest upon all those who hunger for You. We pray for Your divine peace upon the US and Israel. In the holy Name of the Messiah, Yeshua, we pray these things. Amen.”
IMMEDIATE Prayer Requests:
- Pray for Israel! Pres Trump will not compromise nor fold under pressure, but that he will announce the move of the American Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem during his meeting this week.
- Total healing physical and spiritual for all we know and love! Lenore, Tere, Connie, Dawn, Maggie, Joe, Donna’s friend, etc.
- Protection of the persecuted church.
- Pray for America.
- Maggie (Les’a’s sister-in-law): kidney transplant continued healing
- Lenore & Friend (Lori): healing
- Donna’s friend
- Dawn: healing – total repair & traveling blessings
- USA: Wisdom for our leadership and their health, their direction. Prayer for their safety.
- Howells: needed sale
Read all He is doing through prayer!
- God is answering prayers!!!
- God is answering the prayers of our children
- Connie has a new place to live!!
- April: good report from doctor!
- Tracy’s infection didn’t spread to her bones!
- Shar (Les’a’s friend): house sold!!!
- Peace has returned to Don’s mom!!!
- Pamela’s miracle at work.
- Mary and Joe Benton’s son is now in Tucson! Grandson’s blood counts remained steady through the trip.
- April (Betty & Harold’s daughter): scan came back showing no cancer in her brain!!