What is a Father?
Week 54, year 2! (Sunday-Shabbat)
What is a father? Who is our father?
We know that G-d is our heavenly father, but what about our earthly fathers? Who are they? Initially, they are the ones who fathered us. But there is so much more. Our earthly father is the one G-d designed to help us mature in the instructions of the L-rd (Eph 6:4). He is the one who talks to us about the ways of G-d wherever we are and in whatever situation we may find ourselves – he impresses G-d’s ways on us (The Shema, Deut 6:4-9).
The Bible teaches us that it is extremely important to G-d that we honor and respect our fathers (and mothers). It is so key that not only is honoring our parents one of the 10 Commandments, it is the only Commandment with a reward for obedience. We are promised long life for honoring our parents: ("Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORDyour God is giving you, Ex 20:12, NIV). (Note: G-d doesn’t specify that we are to honor only those fathers who are righteous.)
Did you know this holiday of honoring dads began in the US around a 100 years ago? (This should not surprise us, because we know our country was founded on Godly principles and many of our early American customs have their roots in the Bible.)
In 1909, when Sonora Smart Dodd, a youngster in Spokane, Washington, heard a Mother's Day sermon, she decided to celebrate a special day for her father, Henry Jackson Smart, a Civil War veteran and farmer. Following the death of Smart’s wife in childbirth, he raised Sonora and her five siblings as a single parent.
In 1924, U.S. President Calvin Coolidge officially urged Americans to celebrate a national Father's Day. By 1966, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed a Presidential Proclamation, designating the third Sunday of June as Father's Day. President Richard Nixon signed a 1972 bill, making the holiday legal, official and permanent.
Yes, we do honor our fathers as part of our American culture.
How then shall we, personally, show honor to our fathers — our physical and our spiritual fathers?
“L-rd, our precious Father. Thank You that You are the perfect father. Forgive our weaknesses and shortcomings as parents. Help us to instill Your ways in our children and grandchildren. Help them to grow up fearing You and revering Your ways. Bless our children – their marriages – their children. We continue to declare Your Word that as for us, we will serve You. We pray Your continued healing and ministry to Janet and Maggie (each of whom lost their moms this month); heal David, Matt, and Keith of their addictions; physically heal Paul, Bonnie, Maxine, Joe, Marita, Alex, Phyllis, Lisa’s daughter, John – all of those with physical challenges. Bring revival to our country. Bless Debbie and Dennis as they extend Your love to Israelis. Bring Your peace to J’lem. In Your most holy Name.”
IMMEDIATE Prayer Requests:
1. PROTECTION FOR ISRAEL – God will bring His peace to J’lem and all of Israel.
2. REVIVAL IN AMERICA!
3. FAMILIES – MARRIAGES (specifically our children’s marriages) – FAMILIES: God will bring families together. Spirit of division will cease. Family relationships healed!
4. Marita (Israel): total foot and leg health.
5. Debbie & Dennis: blessings and favor as they extend their love to Israelis. (Health for their daughter and cat.)
6. Janet: prayer for peace, wisdom, comfort, and love to reign (Janet’s mom passed away)
7. Maxine: Pain will be gone & fascia to be healed..
8. PJ: God would open door for him to go to nursing school.
9. Lisa: healing and wisdom regarding daughter’s issues.
10. Tracy: healing of migraines
11. Joe: pain to leave. Total healing.
12. Friend and fellow musician (Oxana): pregnant with twins. She is in hospital again; prayer for financial, physical, and emotional needs to be met.
13. Pray our children will get into good Bible-believing churches! (Of course Messianic is our first choice. But if that is not an option, we want them to hear the Word and to be surrounded by other believers.)
14. Connie: continued healing from surgery.
15. Allen (Maxine’s son): encouragement. Wisdom, Direction.
16. Phyllis Fernandez: gall stones – healing, direction
17. David (Bev & Ruben’s son): That he will continue going to AA and will turn his heart fully to G-d.
18. John: health and vibrancy
19. Alex: wisdom & healing of liver.
20. Daughter (Debbie & Dennis): wisdom regarding high stress at work during pregnancy
21. Joanne (Dawn’s friend): hunger to know the Lord
22. Cynthia: I wanted to update on parents situation with the lawsuit. The lawyers have gotten nowhere in their fact gathering, in regards to finding a way to make my parents liable personally. Their goal is to cover for the cost of the medical expenses plus more for those who were hurt in the food bank accident. It became a personal thing because the church insurance was not a huge policy that will pay out the kind of money they hoped to get. So they haven't been able to get anywhere with it as a result of our prayers. The lawyers said they were going to try to appeal to the state Supreme Court, which is highly unlikely to get them results. They were not successful because my parents are not liable. A patron of the food bank hit the accelerator instead of their brakes, causing injuries to several people on the car's path. Some sued, others did not. The patron's insurance was not sufficient for the lawyers either. Our continued prayers are that this thing will be shut down completely and it's no longer something hanging over my parents. Those with injuries have recovered well. My family and I really appreciate all the prayers from the congregation on this and for those hurt. Together we all are a powerful prayer warrior team!
23. Bev: Direction – wisdom
24. Deb: victory!
25. Many are making huge changes in their lives: that God will intervene and enable us all to live moment by moment trusting and leaning on Him.
26. Bruce (Maxine’s brother in law): prostate and thyroid cancer. Healing and revelation of the Messiah. Surgery 2/27
27. Grandson (Phyllis): turn from criminal acts and turn to God.
28. Phyllis De Lacio: soon will be able to move into her own home.
29. Anna & Yair (daughter and fiancé of couple we help to support in Israel): Father and mother’s request: “please pray that the example and witness they have shown thus far in their lives will only grow and mature as they become the next generation serving the Lord in Israel.”
30. Dawn: wisdom, discernment, and direction
31. Sheri & Vince (Dawn’s kidz): God will open amazing doors; doors where their hearts are filled and when they can minister.
32. Judy & son (Les’a’s friend’s friend): he is charged with 1st degree murder – please pray for God’s righteousness to prevail on all levels.
33. Marriages; children; families. Family members who are far off will return and serve God.
34. Jessica (Lori & Jim’s daughter): return to the God of her youth – the God of her parents.
35. Heal finances: give us Your direction how to spend money, we pray that this year, You will enable us to be debt-free, including our housing! Heal the finances of our children.
36. Power to overcome temptations.
37. Bonnie: healing, vitality – no more health issues
38. Isaiah (Phyllis’ grandson): emotional healing and physical protection from bullies. That You will give him a heart of compassion and a desire to serve You all of his days. That he will have favor & excitement when he goes to his new school after their move. Phyllis also requests prayer for the bullies.
39. Jordan (Les’a and Don’s friend son): Naval seaman just deployed. Safety and drawing to the Lord
40. Mark (Ann & Geo Stevens’ son): diagnosis for the bleeding episodes; healing from COPD and neuropathy. Approval to move into handicapped apartment. Hope!
41. Tracy: healing of migraine, numbness on left side of head
42. Leonard (Phyllis brother): kidney action to be resumed; doctors to determine problem.
43. Amy, Debbie, Charity (Debbie & Dennis): prayer for resolving emotional scars of past which are affecting extended family relationships.
44. Friend (Norman G): able to conceive a child
45. Ron (Debbie & Dennis): light stroke; no apparent damage; air lifted to UMC. Prayer for total restoration.
46. Friends and family (Deb): close relationship with the Messiah
47. Pamela & Norman: finances. That we ALL will be debt-free by 12/31/2013!
48. Tere: 2-year legal proceeding regarding mother’s care to come to a close quickly. And with a positive outcome.
49. Prayer for our soldiers: spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally whole!
50. Kyle (Yvonne’s son): heart to the Lord – heaviness of depression to lift.
51. Debbie & Dennis (& us all!!): God will lead and guide our footsteps and use us to minister to others.
Read all He is doing this year through prayer!
· Paul: sounds amazing! Able to walk down parallel bars 8 times (riding in the wheel chair only to return to starting point)!! Both Lynn and Paul are doing outpatient therapy at Health South.Please continue praying for total restoration.
· Jo Lynn (Norman G’s sister): despite a few setbacks this week, she is continuing to make great strides.
· Keith: made contact with his grandmother. Please pray he wants to make permanent lifestyle changes.
· David: is in half-way house and looking good. Attending AA.
· Maxine: great report from doctor.
· Connie: great answer to unspoken request.
· Alejandrina (Bonnie’s new friend in hospital): One evening we prayed for Alejandrina to be able to leave ICU. Within a short period after prayer, daughter went to see Alejandrina. Daughter said difference in her was remarkable. In less than 24 hours after prayer she was moved out of ICU! Hallelujah.
· Bonnie: did not have another hearty attack – HALLELUJAH! Again the Lord answered her prayers that she would not have open heart.
· Alex: good report and direction regarding thyroid and liver issues. Please pray for total restoration.
· God is making a way where there seemed to be none!
· Sally’s surgery went very well.
· Connie: surgery went very well and she’s back in service!
· Yonah: opportunity to be mentored in worship
· People resisted temptation – hallelujah!
· Co-worker and Alex: each received positive reports from their doctors!
· Lori: unspoken work-related issue: resolved the day we prayed! Thank YOU!!
· Christine (Bev & Ruben’s daughter in law): her church gave her a van!
· Maksim (Norman’s military friend): returned from Afghanistan! Pray for him and his family as he transitions back into life in the US.
· Les’a feels great! PTL this yuk only lasted 10 days instead of the 3 weeks it has for most – thank you for your prayers!
· Andre (Pamela & Norman’s friend): cactus in his eye. Cactus removed and no problems!.
· Maxine: surgery went perfectly and took less times than doctor had expected.
· Tracy: update on numbness on left side of head…it's from the dislocated clavicle. The bone is pressing on nerves and causing the numbness. Migraines aren't completely gone but let me tell you, Les'a, I haven't had an "episode" since December. Praise the LORD!!!!! I normally get a max of 2 migraines per month, so to have 3 months going on 4 not having any is truly a miracle! I have an "anterior sternoclavicular joint dislocation" from November when JJ banged his head against my chest, please pray that the LORD puts it back into its place.
· Emergency Preparedness for the Modern Christian Family – excellent mtg!
· Connie: passed test!
· Natan: promoted!
· Natan and family went to church again – 4 times!
· Joan: settled back home – doing well.
· Joan got another excellent report from the doctor.
· Joe: released from hospital and feeling better!
· Paul: small improvements – off oxygen. Breathing is fine – still too weak to cough. Back pain continues. Medicare will transfer him to a new facility next month. Lynn is getting lunch every day at Cornerstone! Doctors are encouraged and feel he is making good progress.
· Embryonic steps our children are making toward the Lord!! Hallelujah!
· Lori: positive report from doctor – prayer for a new job without lifting – that doesn’t strain her back..
· Joan (Les’a’s mother): excellent report from neurologist – no surgery. Another excellent report for another doctor: no further treatment is necessary.
· Baby Addy (Betty & Harold’s granddaughter): excellent report from cardiologist – no return visit for 9 months! Holes in heart are closing..
· Mark (Ann’s son): doctors have direction; he is feeling better!
· God is giving CFS a reputation for being a praying congregation – and people are looking forward to miracles wrought as a result of our prayers! Isn’t our King wonderful to use “us”!
· One of the believers whom we help to support: said she is focusing this year on intercession and CFS! WOW! That’s exciting!
· God showed us many, many baby steps of answers He’s bringing about in the lives of our loved ones! Hallelujah!
· Mom (Tracy’s): safely arrived in the US.
· Bonnie: becoming stronger. She is able to work full time. Let us continue praying for her total healing and God’s perfect timing for her to return to work.. (She survived a 7-hour heart attack! And with only minor heart damage! And, He has granted her heart’s desire: she will not have open heart surgery! Out of the hospital – her doc was amazed at how much better she looked than she had 3 weeks before!)
· Flu/Cold symptoms: healing and health for our loved ones.
· Joan (Les’a’s mom): great report from spinal doctor. Physical therapy is immediate direction, rather than surgery – a true answer to her prayers! She is getting stronger everyday – walked a mile in physical therapy Friday!
· Maxine: out of the hospital and doing well. feeling soo much better! Did not have any compressions fractures!
· Bev & Ruben: huge answers to prayer. Pray David follows thru with his direction.
· Phyllis & family arrived in Ohio. They had a good trip! Nevertheless, we miss her! Danielle was able to purchase a beautiful double-wide home. Phyllis is going to service Sat!!
· Connie: found a new home!
· Granddaughter (Betty & Harold): born healthy!
· Rudy (Les’a’s friend’s son): cracked skull resulting in major mental complications – improvement and is able to have work. His mother is grateful for the prayers and is amazed at his healing.
· Rhonda & Norm: the Lord brought order out of chaos!
· Paul: even little setbacks, God uses! Paul is back at HealthSouth!
· Nephew (Les’a): serious auto accident with car’s being totaled. His outlook is great!
· Maxine: trip was fantastic!
· Krinskys: home has sold and they are getting ready to move.
· Interviews (Dawn’s ‘grandson’ and Debbie’s daughter): God to open doors to jobs
· David (Bev & Ruben): he is fulfilling court obligations. Pray for total deliverance and repentance.
· Danielle (Phyllis): excellent report – no cancer!
· Somewhat estranged son (John): initiated a visit!! Visit was good!
· Phyllis: feeling better!
· Lord is orchestrating timing!
· Becca (Tracy’s friend): surgery successful and, after a month in physical therapy, is able to go home! Prayer for salvation.
· Tere: trip was amazing!
· Danielle (Phyllis’ daughter): surgery successful – no malignancy. Doing amazingly!!!
· Jim’s nephew: able to return to work in record time!! (accident and all facial bones, except jaw, were broken.)
· Steve (Pamela’s friend): successful surgery & desire to be discipled.
· PJ: truth verified regarding his physical situation.
· Yom Kippur fast: several commented this was their first fast & it was very special.
· Janet: during Yom Kippur fast received word that her art was accepted in a festival!
· Maxine & Joe: trip was refreshing.
· Leonard (Phyllis’ brother) is out of the hospital!
· Jim: trip was fruitful.
· Pamela: strained back: able to work.
· John (Phyllis): going to AA everyday and is determined to make good decisions. He and his wife are speaking!! Hallelujah!!
· Harold: a fantastic word about his new job!!! TYJ!
· Maxine’s baptism: amazing and refreshing for all – especially her!
· Debbie’s and Dennis’ trips to see families: very good.
· Deb: trip to ABQ to see father, was very specialtime & experiences during visit, & seeds of love, devotion, & hope were planted.
· Daughter (Tere): successful out-patient surgery to remove fatty tissue cyst on leg.
· Joe: procedure: revealed no problems! Prayers they determine what is causing him the pain.
· Ramon (Krinskys): PSA count went from 4.0 to 0.0!! Doctor was extremely pleased and said he didn’t need to see him for 6 months.
· Bob (Maxine & Joe’s friend): excellent report from Mayo Clinic– cancer is in remission!!!
· Adriana (Yvonne’s sister): appears to continue doing better. Prayers that she continues with treatment.
· Betty & Harold: new jobs!
· Les’a & Don: God healed our water softener – repairman asked his Bible study to agree with himJ
· Family members are opening to the Word and prayer!
· Matthew (Frank): decided to stay in rehab!! Pray for total deliverance.
· Frank’s trip: good report
· Olympic Runner Paul Ryan: announces God is his coach
· Gabby Douglas: gives God glory for her Olympic gold medals in gymnastics.
· Many little signs of His involvement in various situations all week – He is continuing to move – and we get to be part!!!!! Yes, we are His elite soldiers!
· Jeff (Paul & Lynn’s son): GRE tests went very well!
· Jeannette: camping was trip great with unexpected blessings.
· Sylvia Powell (friend of Jeannette): family adjusting well without her.
· Suzi (Jeannette’s friend): recovering from knee replacement – pray for continued healing.
· Hawkins (soldier friend of Natan’s who was hurt in explosion in Afghanistan): he is doing well.
· Infant Maxwell (parents are missionaries to Poland): 10 weeks old and over 12 pounds. Still tired and sleeps nearly all day, but nursing well. Pray his heart shows improvement, so he can go off meds. The family is “forever and a day grateful that you prayed for his life!”
· Norman G: finished back taxes!
· Bonnie: huge blessing regarding work hours.
· Maxine: pain-free
· Maxine & Joe: trip was fantastic
· Marita: “Prayer Tools on your website is very popular.” It is being read in Israel, South Africa & France and is being translated into Spanish!!! May His Word continue to go forth!
· Brian (Paul): received the Lord! Pray Brian turns to God for comfort during his grieving.
· Men’s meeting: good food; great fellowship; interesting discussion. – if you’re a guy, don’t miss the next meeting!
· Operation Jericho answers are coming!
· Lori received medical report showing improvement!! Pray for 100% healing.
· Natan returned from 3rd deployment.
· Jim received an excellent report from doctor!!!
· Bonnie: mechanical miracle with medical device – huge blessing!
· God again spared Natan and others from insidious attacks by the enemy – an explosion was only 40 meters away. (As Natan put it, had it been closer it would have been a ‘bad day’!)
· Quinton (Art’s grandson): born healthy!
· Family reunions continue to occur – pray that they will all be joyous!! To date, good reports from all reunions!!
· Lori (Norman G’s daughter): approval at new job. Please pray for housing.
· Pamela and Norman: have work – hallelujah! Let us pray they have divine appointments– & full schedules!
· Friend (Dawn): Court ruled earthly justice. Pray for emotional and spiritual healing for all.
· Bonnie: family visit was excellent
· Don: trip for his mom’s 90th bday was terrific!
· Les’a: unexpected financial blessing (insurance company suddenly paid 100% of $219 vaccine, which previously they would said they would not!) TYL! – let us continue to pray we will all be debt-free, except for housing, by the end of 2012.
· Lynn Mann: healing from foot surgery.
Families (all of our families):
- To be whole and walk in the ways of the Lord!
- God to continue strengthening and building family relationships!
- Josiah D: favor, protection & a heart like King David.
- God would bring godly helpmates and partners in ministry: T (Les’a & Don’s friend & a man of God), Cynthia, etc.
- Marita (in Israel): prayer for total healing from kidney stones. She does much for the Kingdom!
- Jeff & Paul (Paul & Lynn Mann): healing from knee surgeries.
- Krys (Les’a’s co-worker’s husband): serious problems caused by Parkinson's.
- Susie (Bonnie): from previous cervical fusion, one of the screws started migrating and was pushing at her esophagus threatening a puncture. Prayer for recovery from surgery and acceptance of Jesus.
- Bud (Tracy’s father): continued healing; insurance issues resolved.
- Bonnie: healing with oxygen levels.
- Christopher & Liz (Maxine): she has ovarian cancer, resulting in financial problems. Pray for encouragement.
- Bob & Pat (Maxine & Joe): healing.
Call to Prayer intercessors:
- Debt-free by the end of 2012!
- Intercessors for The Call To Prayer: wisdom and tenacity to continue on to see victory!
- Favor & wisdom in the work force: We would be excellent in the work place – even as Joseph, Daniel, etc. were – blessings to the companies because we are there!
- Deb and all those who not listedGod will give them fulfilling & rewarding employment where they will have great favor!
Relationship with our Lord:
- 5 grandchildren (Debbie & Dennis): to know the salvation and love of Yeshua.
- David (Bev & Ruben): his mom’s request “he quickly come to the end of himself and look up. Protection for him and all of his family.” Warfare is intense.
- Keith (Dawn’s grandson): come to the God of his parents and grandmother
- The hearts of Americans: turn to God! Our land will be healed.
- Peace of Jerusalem!
- Natan (Les’a and Don’s son and his family) & our soldiers:
- Pray for wisdom, accuracy, and knowledge. God will bring them home whole: spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally. And God will be with their families.
- God’s wisdom, power, anointing, and favor.
PRAYERS OF THE RIGHTEOUS BRING GREAT RESULTS: read a summation of what our LORD did last year!!
1. He has miraculously saved lives physically and spiritually.
2. He has healed many from surgeries and sicknesses.
3. He intervened and a 7-week premature baby was born healthy and continues to thrive a year later.
4. He is mending many, manyfamily relationships.
5. He opened doors where there were none.
6. He has provided many with employment.
7. He has touched finances.
8. He has protected our soldier.
9. He has taught us to be consistent and persevering in prayer.
On the website are specific answers from year 1 of Call To Prayer: