The High Holy Days are here!!!
Yom Teru’ah begins this Sunday
“In the seventh month, on the first of the month, there shall be a sabbath for you, a remembrance with shofar blasts, a holy convocation,” Leviticus 16:24
The month of Tishrei begins Sunday evening, October 2, 2016. In this one month, there are three major Biblical festivals:
- Yom Teru’ah/Rosh Hashanah (aka Feast of Trumpets; Lev. 23:23; Num. 29:1- 6),
- Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement),
- Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles or Booths).
Many Americans use January 1, New Year’s Day, as a time to plan a better life, making “resolutions.” However, those who closely follow the Bible do not look at “resolutions” as a one-day evaluation/decision. During the month of Elul (the month before Yom Teru’ah), we have focused on our spiritual life, God’s love for us, His attributes of mercy, and our love for Him. This period helped ready us to meet the Lord on the High Holy Days.
During this brief 4 weeks, the Lord has gently shown us, individually, His love and His desire for us to re-align of our spiritual direction. He has revealed areas where we each need to ‘tighten up our walks before Him’, ways we can be more pleasing to Him. Hasn’t it been an amazing experience??!! Stretching, yes; but good, because we know in whose hands we have entrusted our lives.
Yom Teru’ah begins with the closing of the month of Elul. The shofar (ram’s horn or trumpet) is blown on Yom Teru’ah to herald the High Holy Days. It is blown to awaken those who are spiritually sleeping and calls worshippers to turn to God. It also announces that a great event is about to take place.
Again this year, we are again going to have exciting times during His High Holy Days! Every year, the Lord has met us in amazing ways – so, let’s begin these days with anticipation for what the He is going to do this year!!! Come to each of the Festivals with expectancy in your heart!
Exercise: greet one another with “Shanah tova!” Happy New Year!
God has a message for us: we need to allow these attributes to become a part of our very lives.
“Glorious Father! The month of Elul has been a great experience – thank You for having helped us prepare spiritually for Your festivals. We come with expectancy in our hearts – thank You for loving us even more than we can imagine – even more than we love ourselves. Bless each intercessor with favor in the work place – help us to be blessings to our co-workers. Help us to be good stewards and to get out of debt by the end this year. Bless our children and families. Help them to know You and to walk in Your ways. Be with our soldiers – thank You for their voluntary service. Heal the sick among us. Bring Your peace to J’lem. Turn our country back to You. In Your most holy Name, we pray.”
IMMEDIATE Prayer Requests:
- Howells: needed sale
- Rhonda, Elin, Tere, April, 3-year old Josh: healing.
- Friend (Georges): healing
- Nieces (Marsha): God’s peace after the death of their father
- Marty Goetz: recovery from open heart surgery
- Individuals in crisis! (inter-relational, emotional, physical) – we need to stand guard against the enemy.
- Protection for pastors.
- Pray for Israel!
- Protection of the persecuted church.
- Pray for America.
- Attack on our loved ones to be broken and stopped.
- Shar: overcoming and sense of purpose.
- Bevin (Les’a’s friend’s husband): physical and emotional healing.
- Jessica (Lori & Jim’s daughter): return to the God of her youth – the God of her parents.
- Prayer for wisdom and favor as we encounter suffering people.
- FRIENDS: many of our friends are hurting physically and emotionally.
- FAMILIES & MARRIAGES: peace, harmony, serve God; strong, healthy, and Christ-centered; spiritual, mental, and emotional healing. God will bring families together. Spirit of division will cease. Family relationships healed! Family members who are far off will return and serve God.
- PRAYER FOR OUR SOLDIERS: spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally whole!
- Protection of believers all over the world.
- Encouragement for the heavy-hearted
Read all He is doing through prayer!
- Duane (Coles’ friend): miraculous recovery from stroke
- Rhonda’s & Colin’s surgeries went well
- Kerene: approval for new medicine!
- Tere got an excellent report from doc!
- Children are applying Scripture memory verses to their lives!
- VBS was terrific!
- Coles’ trips: amazing – thank you for your prayers!!
- Rhonda is receiving answers! We rejoice with her!