Hurt? Offended? Angry?
Week 43, year 2! (Sunday-Shabbat)
Unless someone lives on an island and has no contact with others, we have all been offended, hurt, or have been upset by the way another has treated us. Why do we have these emotional struggles? Because our loving Lord created us to be inter-dependent on others. How do we handle these hurts?
The gospel of Mark instructs: “And when you stand praying, if you hold anything (a grudge, NLT) against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins,” Mark 11:25 NIV
But how can we forgive this when someone is wrong and has deeply hurt us?
Let’s look at the lives of a few people who have suffered horrible atrocities and how they handled offenses:
1. Corrie Ten Boom: “It was in a church in Munich that I saw him—a balding, heavyset man in a gray overcoat, a brown felt hat clutched between his hands…. It was 1947 and I had come from Holland to defeated Germany with the message that God forgives… ‘When we confess our sins,’ I said, ‘God casts them into the deepest ocean, gone forever. …’ “The solemn faces stared back at me, not quite daring to believe…. And that’s when I saw him, working his way forward against the others. One moment I saw the overcoat and the brown hat; the next, a blue uniform and a visored cap with its skull and crossbones. It came back with a rush: the huge room with its harsh overhead lights; the pathetic pile of dresses and shoes in the center of the floor; the shame of walking naked past this man.
I could see my sister’s frail form ahead of me, ribs sharp beneath the parchment skin. Betsie, how thin you were! Betsie and I had been arrested for concealing Jews in our home during the Nazi occupation of Holland; this man had been a guard at Ravensbruck concentration camp where we were sent.] Now he was in front of me, hand thrust out: ‘A fine message, Fräulein! How good it is to know that, as you say, all our sins are at the bottom of the sea!’ And I, who had spoken so glibly of forgiveness, fumbled in my pocketbook rather than take that hand. He would not remember me, of course—how could he remember one prisoner among those thousands of women? But I remembered him and the leather crop swinging from his belt. I was face-to-face with one of my captors and my blood seemed to freeze. ‘You mentioned Ravensbruck in your talk,’ he was saying, ‘I was a guard there.’ No, he did not remember me.
‘But since that time,’ he went on, ‘I have become a Christian. I know that God has forgiven me for the cruel things I did there, but I would like to hear it from your lips as well. Fräulein,’ again the hand came out—’will you forgive me?’ And I stood there—I whose sins had again and again to be forgiven—and could not forgive. Betsie had died in that place—could he erase her slow terrible death simply for the asking? It could not have been many seconds that he stood there—hand held out—but to me it seemed hours as I wrestled with the most difficult thing I had ever had to do. For I had to do it—I knew that.
The message that God forgives has a prior condition: that we forgive those who have injured us. ‘If you do not forgive men their trespasses,’ Jesus says, ‘neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.’ I knew it not only as a commandment of God, but as a daily experience. Since the end of the war I had had a home in Holland for victims of Nazi brutality.
Those who were able to forgive their former enemies were able also to return to the outside world and rebuild their lives, no matter what the physical scars. Those who nursed their bitterness remained invalids. It was as simple and as horrible as that. And still I stood there with the coldness clutching my heart. But forgiveness is not an emotion—I knew that too. Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart…
‘Help!’ I prayed silently. ‘I can lift my hand. I can do that much. You supply the feeling.’ And so woodenly, mechanically, I thrust my hand into the one stretched out to me. And as I did, an incredible thing took place. The current started in my shoulder, raced down my arm, sprang into our joined hands. And then this healing warmth seemed to flood my whole being, bringing tears to my eyes. ‘I forgive you, brother!’ I cried. ‘With all my heart!’ For a long moment we grasped each other’s hands, the former guard and the former prisoner. I had never known God’s love so intensely, as I did then” (excerpted from “I’m Still Learning to Forgive” by Corrie ten Boom. Reprinted by permission from Guideposts Magazine. Copyright © 1972 by Guideposts Associates, Inc., Carmel, New York 10512).
2. A friend: as a 13-year old, her mother left her standing on the corner in the dark while she went into the bar and drank the night away. My friend forgave her alcoholic mother, her mother came to the Lord and lived the last 20 years of her life with my friend. God healed the hurts, and they built many great memories.
3. Mike Evans: “At the age of 11, following the most brutal beating he had ever received at his father’s hands, he says he finally found the faith that has since sustained him emotionally and spiritually. Upon attempting to protect his mother during one of his father’s violent drunken rages, Evans says his father lifted him above his head and strangled him, nearly choking him to death. He recalls losing consciousness and waking up in a pool of his own dried vomit.” Evans forgave his father and eventually led him to the Lord.
4. Eva Moses Kur: a survivor of the cruel and inhuman medical experiments performed on twins by Auschwitz Nazi doctor Josef Mengele. Kur stated: “Just to be free from the Nazis did not remove the pain they have inflicted on me. There might be another way survivors can heal themselves, I have found one way: forgive your worst enemy. It will heal your soul. It will set you free.”
I pray none of us has had to endure neglect & attempted homicide by our parents or extreme cruelty by captors, but nonetheless, we each are offended often. Can we forgive? WILL we forgive?
Forgiveness is not an emotion it is an act of the will. If we do not forgive, we become emotional invalids. OurLord promises that our souls will be set free as we forgive.
“Lord, we thank You for your teaching us to forgive! Thank You for Your atoning blood. Help us to walk in Your forgiveness for not only ourselves but also for others. Help us to forgive even those who have desperately offended us. We praise You, our King, for leading us moment by moment – helping us to walking more completely in You! Heal Maxine, Joe, Paul & Lynn, all those who are hurting physically or emotionally. That believers both here and in Israel will have favor – that You will bring Your peace to Jerusalem. In Your awesome Name.”
IMMEDIATE Prayer Requests:
1. PROTECTION FOR ISRAEL – God’s will bring His peace to J’lem and all of Israel.
2. REVIVAL IN AMERICA!
3. FAMILIES – FAMILIES – FAMILIES: God will bring families together. Spirit of division will cease.
4. Pray our children will get into good Bible-believing churches! (Of course Messianic is our first choice. But if that is not an option, we want them hearing the Word and be surrounded by other believers.)
5. Maxine: Pain will be gone; that she will be able to resume her normal activities. That God will heal her kidneys; that her physical therapy will be successful.
6. Joe: shot will reveal source and exact area of his back pain.
7. Paul: That Paul will be able to be outpatient – at home – in 3 months!More movement in right arm. Acupuncture is helping back pain. Strengthening his legs so he can stand on his own. Lynn sciatic nerve pain.
8. Victory over allergies/pollen and lingering colds
9. Andre (Pamela & Norman’s friend): cactus in his eye. Please pray for total vision restoration.
10. Friend (Krinskys’ daughter’s friend): serious health concern.
11. Bev & Ruben: 10-year old Audrey will have no fear of cars; God will provide a car for Christine. That this accident will draw the family together and to Him.
12. Deb: victory!
13. Many are making huge changes in their lives: that God will intervene and enable us all to live moment by moment trusting and leaning on Him.
14. Bruce (Maxine’s brother in law): prostate and thyroid cancer. Healing and revelation of the Messiah. Surgery 2/27
15. Grandson (Phyllis): turn from criminal acts and turn to God.
16. Phyllis: soon will be able to move into her own home.
17. Lori: job and direction
18. Anna & Yair (daughter and fiancé of couple we help to support in Israel): Father and mother’s request: “please pray that the example and witness they have shown thus far in their lives will only grow and mature as they become the next generation serving the Lord in Israel.”
19. Dawn: wisdom, discernment, and direction
20. Sheri & Vince (Dawn’s kidz): God will open amazing doors; doors where their hearts are filled and when they can minister.
21. Yonah & Bobby (Les’a and Don): wisdom regarding ministry opportunity and His perfect timing – and be debt-free.
22. Traveling mercies for Les’a, Yonah, & Joan: they attend her niece’s wedding and then come to Tucson for Passover.
23. Judy & son (Les’a’s friend’s friend): he is charged with 1st degree murder – please pray for God’s righteousness to prevail on all levels.
24. Marriages; children; families. Family members who are far off will return and serve God.
25. Jessica (Lori & Jim’s daughter): return to the God of her youth – the God of her parents.
26. Heal backs and bodies: PJ, Lori, Paul, Maxine & Joe, Les’a’s mom, Phyllis, Bonnie, Deb, John – Father, we pray Your divine touch on each of us!
27. Heal finances: give us Your direction how to spend money, we pray that this year, You will enable us to be debt-free, including our housing! Heal the finances of our children.
28. Jobs (Lori, Betty, Art’s son, Chantell (Les’a and Don’s daughter in law): favor and wisdom. God will open the doors to jobs where they can prosper (emotionally, physically, and financially)
29. Marita (in Israel): healing. Anointing as she ministers in deed and prayer.
30. Power to overcome temptations.
31. Bonnie: healing, vitality – no more health issues
32. Isaiah (Phyllis’ grandson): emotional healing and physical protection from bullies. That You will give him a heart of compassion and a desire to serve You all of his days. That he will have favor & excitement when he goes to his new school after their move. Phyllis also requests prayer for the bullies.
33. Jordan (Les’a and Don’s friend son): Naval seaman just deployed. Safety and drawing to the Lord
34. Mark (Ann & Geo Stevens’ son): diagnosis for the bleeding episodes; healing from COPD and neuropathy. Approval to move into handicapped apartment. Hope!
35. Tracy: healing of migraine, numbness on left side of head
36. Leonard (Phyllis brother): kidney action to be resumed; doctors to determine problem.
37. David (Bev & Ruben): repentance, deliverance.
38. Brother (Bev): healing from massive heart attack and salvation
39. Nephew (Bev & Ruben): Believer diagnosed with leukemia.
40. Amy, Debbie, Charity (Debbie & Dennis): prayer for resolving emotional scars of past which are affecting extended family relationships.
41. Friend (Norman G): able to conceive a child
42. Joanne (Dawn): 84 yrs and not well. Please pray for her salvation
43. Ron (Debbie & Dennis): light stroke; no apparent damage; air lifted to UMC. Prayer for total restoration.
44. Friends and family (Deb): close relationship with the Messiah
45. Pamela & Norman: finances. That we ALL will be debt-free by 12/31/2013!
46. Tere: 2-year legal proceeding regarding mother’s care to come to a close quickly. And with a positive outcome.
47. Prayer for our soldiers: spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally whole!
48. Jordan (Les’a & Don): Navy Sailor for him & his family.
49. Kyle (Yvonne’s son): heart to the Lord – heaviness of depression to lift.
50. Debbie & Dennis (& us all!!): God will lead and guide our footsteps and use us to minister to others.
51. Cynthia: lawsuit against her parents and their food bank ministry. Pray suit will be dropped & healing will result.
Read allHe is doing this year through prayer!
· Maxine: surgery went perfectly and took less times than doctor had expected.
· Bev & Ruben: 10-year old Audrey and her other grandmother were in auto accident. Car flipped and was totaled. Hallelujah – no head injuries! Nothing was broken. A huge miracle!
· Paul is off all oxygen; he is back to where he was physically before this last bout with pneumonia. Daily he is improving – slowly, but he is making progress. Hallelujah, the back pain is gone. Please pray for total restoration and that there will be no recurrences of pneumonia.
· Emergency Preparedness for the Modern Christian Family – excellent mtg!
· Connie: passed test!
· Natan: promoted!
· Natan and family went to church again – 4 times!
· Joan: settled back home – doing well.
· Joan got another excellent report from the doctor.
· Joe: released from hospital and feeling better!
· Paul: small improvements – off oxygen. Breathing is fine – still too weak to cough. Back pain continues. Medicare will transfer him to a new facility next month. Lynn is getting lunch every day at Cornerstone! Doctors are encouraged and feel he is making good progress.
· Embryonic steps our children are making toward the Lord!! Hallelujah!
· Lori: positive report from doctor – prayer for a new job without lifting – that doesn’t strain her back..
· Joan (Les’a’s mother): excellent report from neurologist – no surgery. Another excellent report for another doctor: no further treatment is necessary.
· Baby Addy (Betty & Harold’s granddaughter): excellent report from cardiologist – no return visit for 9 months! Holes in heart are closing..
· Mark (Ann’s son): doctors have direction; he is feeling better!
· God is giving CFS a reputation for being a praying congregation – and people are looking forward to miracles wrought as a result of our prayers! Isn’t our King wonderful to use “us”!
· One of the believers whom we help to support: said she is focusing this year on intercession and CFS! WOW! That’s exciting!
· God showed us many, many baby steps of answers He’s bringing about in the lives of our loved ones! Hallelujah!
· Mom (Tracy’s): safely arrived in the US.
· Bonnie: becoming stronger. She is able to work full time. Let us continue praying for her total healing and God’s perfect timing for her to return to work.. (She survived a 7-hour heart attack! And with only minor heart damage! And, He has granted her heart’s desire: she will not have open heart surgery! Out of the hospital – her doc was amazed at how much better she looked than she had 3 weeks before!)
· Flu/Cold symptoms: healing and health for our loved ones.
· Joan (Les’a’s mom): great report from spinal doctor. Physical therapy is immediate direction, rather than surgery – a true answer to her prayers! She is getting stronger everyday – walked a mile in physical therapy Friday!
· Maxine: out of the hospital and doing well. feeling soo much better! Did not have any compressions fractures!
· Bev & Ruben: huge answers to prayer. Pray David follows thru with his direction.
· Phyllis & family arrived in Ohio. They had a good trip! Nevertheless, we miss her! Danielle was able to purchase a beautiful double-wide home. Phyllis is going to service Sat!!
· Connie: found a new home!
· Granddaughter (Betty & Harold): born healthy!
· Rudy (Les’a’s friend’s son): cracked skull resulting in major mental complications – improvement and is able to have work. His mother is grateful for the prayers and is amazed at his healing.
· Rhonda & Norm: the Lord brought order out of chaos!
· Paul: even little setbacks, God uses! Paul is back at HealthSouth!
· Nephew (Les’a): serious auto accident with car’s being totaled. His outlook is great!
· Maxine: trip was fantastic!
· Krinskys: home has sold and they are getting ready to move.
· Interviews (Dawn’s ‘grandson’ and Debbie’s daughter): God to open doors to jobs
· David (Bev & Ruben): he is fulfilling court obligations. Pray for total deliverance and repentance.
· Danielle (Phyllis): excellent report – no cancer!
· Somewhat estranged son (John): initiated a visit!! Visit was good!
· Phyllis: feeling better!
· Lord is orchestrating timing!
· Becca (Tracy’s friend): surgery successful and, after a month in physical therapy, is able to go home! Prayer for salvation.
· Tere: trip was amazing!
· Danielle (Phyllis’ daughter): surgery successful – no malignancy. Doing amazingly!!!
· Jim’s nephew: able to return to work in record time!! (accident and all facial bones, except jaw, were broken.)
· Steve (Pamela’s friend): successful surgery & desire to be discipled.
· PJ: truth verified regarding his physical situation.
· Yom Kippur fast: several commented this was their first fast & it was very special.
· Janet: during Yom Kippur fast received word that her art was accepted in a festival!
· Maxine & Joe: trip was refreshing.
· Leonard (Phyllis’ brother) is out of the hospital!
· Jim: trip was fruitful.
· Pamela: strained back: able to work.
· John (Phyllis): going to AA everyday and is determined to make good decisions. He and his wife are speaking!! Hallelujah!!
· Harold: a fantastic word about his new job!!! TYJ!
· Maxine’s baptism: amazing and refreshing for all – especially her!
· Debbie’s and Dennis’ trips to see families: very good.
· Deb: trip to ABQ to see father, was very specialtime & experiences during visit, & seeds of love, devotion, & hope were planted.
· Daughter (Tere): successful out-patient surgery to remove fatty tissue cyst on leg.
· Joe: procedure: revealed no problems! Prayers they determine what is causing him the pain.
· Ramon (Krinskys): PSA count went from 4.0 to 0.0!! Doctor was extremely pleased and said he didn’t need to see him for 6 months.
· Bob (Maxine & Joe’s friend): excellent report from Mayo Clinic– cancer is in remission!!!
· Adriana (Yvonne’s sister): appears to continue doing better. Prayers that she continues with treatment.
· Betty& Harold: new jobs!
· Les’a & Don: God healed our water softener – repairman asked his Bible study to agree with himJ
· Family members are opening to the Word and prayer!
· Matthew (Frank): decided to stay in rehab!! Pray for total deliverance.
· Frank’s trip: good report
· Olympic Runner Paul Ryan: announces God is his coach
· Gabby Douglas: gives God glory for her Olympic gold medals in gymnastics.
· Many little signs of His involvement in various situations all week – He is continuing to move – and we get to be part!!!!! Yes, we are His elite soldiers!
· Jeff (Paul & Lynn’s son): GRE tests went very well!
· Jeannette: camping was trip great with unexpected blessings.
· Sylvia Powell (friend of Jeannette): family adjusting well without her.
· Suzi (Jeannette’s friend): recovering from knee replacement – pray for continued healing.
· Hawkins (soldier friend of Natan’s who was hurt in explosion in Afghanistan): he is doing well.
· Infant Maxwell (parents are missionaries to Poland): 10 weeks old and over 12 pounds. Still tired and sleeps nearly all day, but nursing well. Pray his heart shows improvement, so he can go off meds. The family is “forever and a day grateful that you prayed for his life!”
· Norman G: finished back taxes!
· Bonnie: huge blessing regarding work hours.
· Maxine: pain-free
· Maxine & Joe: trip was fantastic
· Marita: “Prayer Tools on your website is very popular.” It is being read in Israel, South Africa & France and is being translated into Spanish!!! May His Word continue to go forth! http://www.faithfulstewardship.org/prayandact/articles/62-tools-for-answered-prayers
· Brian (Paul): received the Lord! Pray Brian turns to God for comfort during his grieving.
· Men’s meeting: good food; great fellowship; interesting discussion. – if you’re a guy, don’t miss the next meeting!
· Operation Jericho answers are coming!
· Lori received medical report showing improvement!! Pray for 100% healing.
· Natan returned from 3rd deployment.
· Jim received an excellent report from doctor!!!
· Bonnie: mechanical miracle with medical device – huge blessing!
· God again spared Natan and others from insidious attacks by the enemy – an explosion was only 40 meters away. (As Natan put it, had it been closer it would have been a ‘bad day’!)
· Quinton (Art’s grandson): born healthy!
· Family reunions continue to occur – pray that they will all be joyous!! To date, good reports from all reunions!!
· Lori (Norman G’s daughter): approval at new job. Please pray for housing.
· Pamela and Norman: have work – hallelujah! Let us pray they have divine appointments– & full schedules!
· Friend (Dawn): Court ruled earthly justice. Pray for emotional and spiritual healing for all.
· Bonnie: family visit was excellent
· Don: trip for his mom’s 90th bday was terrific!
· Les’a: unexpected financial blessing (insurance company suddenly paid 100% of $219 vaccine, which previously they would said they would not!) TYL! – let us continue to pray we will all be debt-free, except for housing, by the end of 2012.
· Lynn Mann: healing from foot surgery.
Families (all of our families):
- To be whole and walk in the ways of the Lord!
- God to continue strengthening and building family relationships!
- Josiah D: favor, protection & a heart like King David.
- God would bring godly helpmates and partners in ministry: T (Les’a & Don’s friend & a man of God), Cynthia, etc.
- Marita (in Israel): prayer for total healing from kidney stones. She does much for the Kingdom!
- Jeff & Paul (Paul & Lynn Mann): healing from knee surgeries.
- Krys (Les’a’s co-worker’s husband): serious problems caused by Parkinson's.
- Susie (Bonnie): from previous cervical fusion, one of the screws started migrating and was pushing at her esophagus threatening a puncture. Prayer for recovery from surgery and acceptance of Jesus.
- Bud (Tracy’s father): continued healing; insurance issues resolved.
- Bonnie: healing with oxygen levels.
- Christopher & Liz (Maxine): she has ovarian cancer, resulting in financial problems. Pray for encouragement.
- Bob & Pat (Maxine & Joe): healing.
Call to Prayer intercessors:
- Debt-free by the end of 2012!
- Intercessors for The Call To Prayer: wisdom and tenacity to continue on to see victory!
- Favor & wisdom in the work force: We would be excellent in the work place – even as Joseph, Daniel, etc. were – blessings to the companies because we are there!
- Deb and all those who not listedGod will give them fulfilling & rewarding employment where they will have great favor!
Relationship with our Lord:
- 5 grandchildren (Debbie & Dennis): to know the salvation and love of Yeshua.
- David (Bev & Ruben): his mom’s request “he quickly come to the end of himself and look up. Protection for him and all of his family.” Warfare is intense.
- Keith (Dawn’s grandson): come to the God of his parents and grandmother
- The hearts of Americans: turn to God! Our land will be healed.
- Peace of Jerusalem!
- Natan (Les’a and Don’s son and his family) & our soldiers:
- Pray for wisdom, accuracy, and knowledge. God will bring them home whole: spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally. And God will be with their families.
- God’s wisdom, power, anointing, and favor.
PRAYERS OF THE RIGHTEOUS BRING GREAT RESULTS:read a summation of what our LORDdid last year!!
1. He has miraculously saved lives physically and spiritually.
2. He has healed many from surgeries and sicknesses.
3. He intervened and a 7-week premature baby was born healthy and continues to thrive a year later.
4. He is mending many, manyfamily relationships.
5. He opened doors where there were none.
6. He has provided many with employment.
7. He has touched finances.
8. He has protected our soldier.
9. He has taught us to be consistent and persevering in prayer.
On the website are specific answers from year 1 of Call To Prayer: http://www.faithfulstewardship.org/services/announcements/67-answers-to-pray