Holding On …
Week 51 (Sunday-Shabbat)
"Holding on" is a characteristic that can define us as individuals. As we hold on and press into God, we develop our spiritual muscles. This results in tenacity in His Word and in His promises which sustain us through tough times. We will not waver but will become men and women of God. And our children, and our children’s children, will be blessed with a Godly heritage. They and we will be blessed.
There is a negative side of holding on. Regardless of where we turn, we see examples of people who are irritated or bitter. No one is exempt. Each of us struggles with “letting go” of things that we should let go of quickly. For some these are little grievances that rub us the wrong way; for others they are major offenses.
History is full of illustrations of people who allowed grudges to turn into bitterness, which turned into feudal wars – generational curses which impact not only the individual who is holding on but also future generations. And it doesn’t stop there: grievances also impact others around us.
1). Perhaps the best known example is the Biblical Sarah. She allowed a grudge to develop between her and Hagar, which eventually led to Hagar and Ishmael’s being “ex-communicated” and sent away. Ishmael’s and Hagar’s rejection and bitterness continued to fester until it became the hatred we see today in the Middle East. In 1957, just 9 years after Israel became a country, Israel’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Gold Meir said “Peace will come when the Arabs will love their children more than they hate us.” Holding on to bitterness has caused mothers and fathers to sacrifice their own. Irrational actions develop when we do not exercise forgiveness.
2). A classic American example is the Hatfield and the McCoy feud, which lasted from 1863-1891. This epoch of fierce pride, vengeance, and murder lasted for 27 years and resulted in the deaths of many of their children. Why did these two families hate each other? Because of a difference during the Civil War which was rekindled during a dispute of a pig’s ownership. Thirteen people were killed, eight jailed, one hanged in the war between the Hatfields and the McCoys. And others died as a result of wounds during this era. All because of a pig’s ownership! In 2003, an official truce was drawn between the families.
Life in the Middle East would be very different today had resentment not been allowed to fester. Let each of us follow the example of making peace as the Hatfields and McCoys finally did. But let us do so quickly before our children and grandchildren, others, and we ourselves get hurt.
· “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God,” Matt 5:9, NIV.
· "Settle matters quickly with your adversary…,” Matt 5:25a, NIV.
· “Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many,” Heb 12:14-15, NIV.
Prayer:we blessed to be allowed to intercede for the needs. Some answers come within a few days, others may take weeks or months. Regardless of what we see with our natural eyes, HE is working. We need to continue to be faithful inintercession!
“Almighty God. We realize anew how our actions impact not only us but also those around us – and even future generations. Help each of us to make peace with those who misunderstand us, those who have hurt us, those who we do not like. Help us to walk soberly in Your Commands. Thank You for these vivid illustrations of the impact of allowing grudges to become hatred and murder. Lord, not by our feelings, but as an act of obedience to You, we lay aside these differences and these hurts. Forgive us and forgive those who have hurt us. We pray for Your healing touch on these situations. Thank You for helping us to daily walk in this way and to resist rekindling these flames of distrust and offence. Lord, we are so thankful that You died that we might become new – that Your mercies are new every morning. We pray for Your peace over J’lem – Your true peace. Turn the hearts of Americans to You, our King. Bless our servicemen. We pray that Natan and those serving with him will return home quickly and that You will heal their bodies and minds – spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically – that they will be stronger than when they deployed. In Your most loving Name, we pray.”
· Dying man received the Lord and now has peace – hallelujah!
· Joan (Les’a’s mother): doctor was amazed at the speedy healing from her foot procedure.
· Betty (Don’s mother): 90th birthday and in very good health!
· Jobs: Pamela is very excited about her new job; Sharlene (Bonnie’s friend): also got a job! Rhonda’s new job continues to go well. – let us continue praying for those still looking!
· Pro-Israel African pastor who went to Israel for treatment from acid’s being poured on his face, which caused his to lose an eye: Israel covered $100,000 of his treatment!! He is now able to attend worship services.
· Danielle (Phyllis’ daughter): moved!
· Phyllis: good family communication – son and estranged wife and children are communicating.
· Hawkins (soldier friend of Natan’s who was hurt in explosion) who was air lifted to the US. Able to be transferred to hospital at his base. Pray for healing physical and emotional for all him and all the soldiers.
· Bobby (Yonah’s husband): awakened from a sound sleep with the awareness that immediate prayer was needed for Natan. Praise God for hearing ears! We learned this week, that his vehicle was hit by an IED (improvised explosive devise) and an RPG (rocket-propelled grenade) exploded over his base, resulting in 4 casualties. Natan was fine, but 4 of his friends were hurt.
· The soldier sent to Walter Reed is expected to live! Hawkins is progressing and will be sent to a hospital in El Paso, where he is stationed!
· Mace Bravin (election for Pima County School Superintendent): got the required number of signatures
· Maxine: excellent report from her kidney doctor!
· Natan: prayerfully has only 6 weeks left of this deployment! HALLELUJAH!!!
· Maggie (Les’a sister in law): she and family traveled to see family! (An undertaking that 6 weeks ago seemed impossible)
· Brother (Frank): able to walk again!!
· God is moving in finances and is getting people out of debt!
· 4-year old great niece (Bonnie): leg surgery and she will be able to walk without braces and with straight legs!!
· Nicole (Rhonda and Norm's daughter): pain is gone – still some facial paralysis – took an out of town field trip!
· Danielle (Phyllis' daughter): God opened the door for her to move into a townhouse!
· Rudy (Les’a’s customer’s friend, who, months ago, cracked his entire skull from a fall): is doing much better. After months of hospitalization, he is home! His mother thanked everyone be for their prayers!!
· Donna (Les’a’s associate’s daughter, who mysteriously became ill (for over a week, she was listed as the most critical patient at St. Joseph’s): she no longer needs leg braces.Huge miracles!!!
· God has given very, very special times with family members: Debbie (Maxine), Keith (Dawn), Yonah & Chantell (Les’a & Don), Rohit (Lori & Jim), and Lisa (Bev & Ruben)
· Rhonda’s work is going well!
· Jeannette’s pain dramatically reduced – almost totally gone!
· Our miracle baby (Josiah) said: Abba!!!
· Alan (Tracy’s brother): issue resolved!
· Art: settled in his new home
· Marita: (in Israel): Where it appeared there was no door, God opened one!
· Paul: knee replacement surgery went amazingly well. He is stronger everyday!
· Families are drawing together!!
· Bob (Chantell’s grandfather): thumb is much better, which was caught in a tractor engine.
· (Yvonne’s friend): breast cancer surgery: much less invasion than expected. Prayer no malignant cells in lymph nodes. She becomes a believer.
· FINANCIAL MIRACLE: Danielle (Phyllis’ daughter): DEBT MIRACLE! She received back-pay, finally!, and was able to get a working car!!
· FINANCIAL MIRACLE: Joan (Les’a’s mother): huge financial blessing – totally unexpected. (Each homeowner was to be assessed $1200 for termite treatment. The company was so impressed with homeowners’ integrity by homeowners reminding company of not being billed. Company reduced the price to $535 and extended warranty almost an extra full year!!)
· FINANCIAL MIRACLE: Tere received unexpected financial blessing.
· Jon (Phyllis’ son): reading his Bible, praying, going to church and AA. He also said he plans on doing everything he can to better himself while he is in prison!
· Lori: Miracles have happened at work!
· Brother (Phyllis): continues going to a Messianic congregation!
· Don: shingles gone! No pain!
· Joan’s steadiness: better every week!!
· Aunt (Paul’s wife): at peace with her Messiah!!
· Natan’s unit: God’s protection continues!
Requests: (please email updates on these situations)… we blessed to be allowed to intercede for these!Some answers to prayer come within a few days, others may take weeks or months. Regardless of what we see with our natural eyes, HE is working. We need to continue to be faithful in our intercession!Reminder: Don’t forget to email answers – even baby steps are answers!
· Ruben: Doctors will discern problem and it will be easily fixable. PSA count to come down.
· Krys (Les’a’s co-worker’s husband): serious problems caused by Parkinsons
· Sylvia (Jeannette’s cousin): cancer
· Isabel Mercedes Celis (6-year old Tucson girl who was abducted April 21): pray for safety and return to her family.
· Soldiers: activity is escalating: please pray for sound mind, safety, protection, and calm.
· Mace Bravin: election for Pima County School Superintendent
· Susie (Bonnie): from previous cervical fusion, one of the screws started migrating and was pushing at her esophagus threatening a puncture. Had surgery Thursday. Prayer for recovery and acceptance of Jesus.
· Pastor to have increased compassion & discernment regarding church discipline; wife to be healed of various issues. Anointing as they minister to drug addicts, the down and out, the hurting.
· Jobs (Norman, Betty, Deb, Lori, and all those who not listed): those who need work. That God will give them fulfilling and rewarding employment where they will have great favor!
· Bud (Tracy’s father): 2 tumors, and another one that is pre-cancerous.
· Nicole (Rhonda and Norm): some facial paralysis from Bells Palsy to leave!
· Bonnie: healing with oxygen levels
· Joan (Les’a): not wobbly as a result of medicine.
· Christopher & Liz (Maxine): she has ovarian cancer, resulting in financial problems. Pray for encouragement
· Bob & Pat (Maxine & Joe): healing
· Phyllis, John, and Rhonda, total healing.
· Yvonne: that the Lord’s spirit will continually cleanse her work place.
· Jeannette: Pray for complete recovery from surgery and total eye & pituitary gland healing.
· David (Bev & Ruben): his mom’s request “he quickly come to the end of himself and look up. Protection for him and all of his family.” Warfare is intense.
· Leonard (Phyllis’ brother): chemo 24/7; radiation M-F: healing and peace
· Prayer for our soldiers safety and for the hearts of morale for these soldiers who have lost fellow soldiers
· Call to Prayer intercessors: Debt-free by the end of 2012!
· Betty & Harold’s friend: brain tumor stage 4. Cancer.
· Paul & Lynn: healing from knee surgery and other issues.
· Christine’s mom (Bev and Ruben’s friend): very ill. Prayer for total healing.
· Prayer for intercessors who are hurting because of the challenges their loved ones are facing
· Families– that God will bring families into a tight bond in Him.
· Tina (Phyllis’ daughter-in-law): turn heart and life to the LORD; peace and direction
· Joan (Joan’s friend): collapsed lung.
· Phyllis: son (in jail).
· Tracy, Deb, Sheri, & others: healing from intense migraines.
· Diane (Jeannette’s friend): shingles on face and in eyes – very painful!!!
· Natan: please pray he can enter green-to-gold program.
· Paul: total knee replacement.surgery.
· Hurting hearts & bodies would be healed.
· Carol (Maxine’s friend): lump in rib.
· 2012: wisdom and self-control that we can all achieve financial freedom.
· Jeanne (Bonnie’s friend): stage 4 ovarian cancer. Salvation and healing with the understanding it was God Who healed her.
· Phyllis & Dawn: continued prayer for total healing of their knees.
· John: continued health and financial challenges.
· Keith (Dawn’s grandson): come to the God of his parents and grandmother.
· Debbie and family (Maxine’s daughter and grandkids): prayer for their healing as they transition to life without Matt. Also, for Frank and family during their transition wirhhout Judy. And for Karen and kids with their loss of Fred.
· Rudy (Les’a’s friend): cracked skull resulting in major mental complications.
· Financial needs.
· God to continue strengthening and building family relationships!
· The hearts of Americans: turn to God!
· God will protect our soldiers – that He will give them wisdom.
· Natan (Les’a and Don’s son and his family): Pray for wisdom, accuracy, and knowledge. God will bring them home whole: spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally. And God will be with their families.
· Families (all of our families): to be whole and walk in the ways of the Lord!
· Grandson: pray that his mom and her boyfriend treat him with love.
· Marriages to be healed.
· Jon: That God intervenes and places him where he will be encouraged to make good decisions, impacting his family for good.
· God’s protection over Israel
· David: return to the God of his youth — that his family will be encouraged.
· Healing of family relationships.
· Intercessors for The Call To Prayer: wisdom and tenacity to continue on to see victory!
· God’s power, anointing, and favor on pastors.
· Peace of Jerusalem!
· Debt-free in 2012!
· Pima County Sheriff's department.
· Need total & complete healing for hearts of my family that are wounded; forgiveness for offenses; & new found understanding & commitment to family, restoration & unity
· Need for increased income with wisdom & self-control, in order to pay off credit card/legal fees.
· Josiah D.: favor, protection & a heart like King David.
· Favor & wisdom in the work force: We would be excellent in the work place – even as Joseph, Daniel, etc. were – blessings to the companies because we are there!
· God will heal our land
· Three sisters to meet godly men.
· Children will stop runningand will turn to God.
· Corbin (Jim’s acquaintance): God will open his eyes to accept Jesus as his Lord and that he will accept the word of God.
· God will supply the needs of those in ministry.
· A’s daughter in law: her heart, drawn to her husband; she will receive info from her father-in-law,that the Lord would place believers in her path.
· A’s relationship with his daughter: healing and mending of hearts.
· A’s Medicare situation to be straightened out – to his financial benefit. And for doctors to find the right solution to his health issues.
· T (Les’a & Don’s friend & a man of God): the Lord would bring him the perfect helpmate – to share his life and to be a partner in ministry.