Widows and Orphans
(What is my responsibility?)
In the modern world, the very old or the very young are often viewed as an inconvenience. In the 21st century, we abort “unwanted” or “imperfect” babies; we euthanize the elderly who can no longer care for themselves or be an “asset” to society. Orphans are often looked upon with question; after all, frequently they have to grow up without the advantages of loving parents.
So, why do we murder or disregard widows and orphans? The simple answer is that they are an “inconvenience” and “do not fit” into our busy, self-absorbed lives.
What regard does our heavenly Father have for these people? Does He share our self-centered conclusions? Are they, in fact, society’s “left overs”? No. Absolutely not!
God not only commanded us to care for the widows and orphans, but He even gave instructions in how we are to treat them.
- “…you shall bring…” [to] “The Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance among you, and the alien, the orphan and the widow who are in your town, shall come and eat and be satisfied, in order that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do,” Deut 14:28a-29, NASB.
- “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world,” James 1:27, NIV.
- “You must not mistreat any widow or fatherless child. If you do mistreat them, they will no doubt cry to Me, and I will certainly hear their cry. My anger will burn, and I will kill you with the sword; then your wives will be widows and your children fatherless,” Ex 22:22-24, HCSB.
God lovingly promises that He cares also for the defenseless.
- “A father of the fatherless and a judge for the widows, is God in His holy habitation,” Ps 68:5, NASB.
Even as God in His habitation cares for and defends these, so are we commanded to follow His example.
PRAYER: “Thank You, mighty God, that You spiritually adopted each of us, that we might not be orphans. We thank You that You have shown and continue to show us Your tenderness and mercy. Help us to extend that same love to the widows and to the orphans. We bless You, our Lord and Savior. Bring Your peace to Jerusalem and to our country. We pray in the holy Name of our soon-coming Messiah, Yeshua.”
IMMEDIATE Prayer Requests:
- Pray for Israel!
- Donna, Rhonda, Tere, Deb, 3-year old Josh: healing
- April: Prayer for healing & restoration.
- Protection for pastors
- Olsens: wisdom & peace
- Marsha’s family: peace and the Lord’s intervention as the family grieves the loss of her cousin.
- Marsha (Rhonda’s friend): friend’s husband. Encouragement and peace.
- HEALING and PEACE for all!!!
- Pray: for ISIS to be stopped; protection of believers
- Pray: for victims of terror and their families
- Pray: for those who are in financial or emotional difficulties.
- Pray for America.
Read all G-d is doing through prayer!
- VBS was terrific!
- Coles’ trips: amazing – thank you for your prayers!!
- Rhonda is receiving answers! We rejoice with her!
- David Davis (Israel): fantastic report from his doctors this week: he is cancer-free!!
- Aunt (Norman George): went home from hospital!
- Brother (Jim Robeson): went home from hospital!
- Unspoken victories are beginning to shower down!!!
- Georges: great trip!
- Oxana’s grandbaby, even after struggle with birth, born healthy!
- 3 other babies born healthy!!
- David Davis (pastor of Kehilat haCarmel in Haifa) has completed his extensive treatment in Mexico and has returned to Haifa!
- April: good report from doctor!
- Tracy’s infection didn’t spread to her bones!
- Shar (Les’a’s friend): house sold!!!
- Peace has returned to Don’s mom!!!
- Pamela’s miracle at work.
- Mary and Joe Benton’s son is now in Tucson! Grandson’s blood counts remained steady through the trip.
- April (Betty & Harold’s daughter): scan came back showing no cancer in her brain!!