Passover — His Feast
Years ago, when I first began to study the Biblical feasts, Exodus 12:14 jumped out at me.
“Now this day will be a memorial to you, and you shall celebrate it as a feast to the LORD; throughout your generations you are to celebrate it as a permanent ordinance,” Ex 12:14
וְהָיָה֩ הַיֹּ֨ום הַזֶּ֤ה לָכֶם֙ לְזִכָּרֹ֔ון וְחַגֹּתֶ֥ם אֹתֹ֖ו חַ֣ג לַֽיהוָ֑ה לְדֹרֹ֣תֵיכֶ֔ם חֻקַּ֥ת עֹולָ֖ם תְּחָגֻּֽהוּ׃
- HaShem first tells us that “this day” (Passover) is to be a “memorial” (something that we are to remember).
- The next phrase is more specific: “we are to celebrate it as a feast to the LORD.”
- And the final phrase is even more specific: we are to do this for all “generations; it as a permanent ordinance.” (Merriam-Webster defines ordinance as “an authoritative decree or direction; order.”)
What is G-d saying to us? HaShem has decreed that Passover is to be remembered and celebrated as a feast to the LORD for all generations.
This week, as we studied Ex 12:14 in Hebrew, we were thrilled with the insights He showed us. First, G-d chose to use one word three times in one verse. We know that when G-d says something one time, we need to listen. But when He repeats something three times in one verse, He is telling us that this concept is very important to Him.
Literally hag חַ֣ג is a festival or feast. However, when hag is used in Scripture it is in conjunction to a feast of the L-rd. Additionally, a form of the word hag is used twice in Ex 12:14. The first is וְחַגֹּתֶ֥ם (v’hag-gotem, literally: ‘and you will feast’. In English when feast is used as a verb, it connotes more the amount of food rather than the manner of celebration. V’hag-gotem might be better translated as ‘you will celebrate or keep’). The second time, a form of hag is usedתְּחָגֻּֽהוּ , ‘you will feast it’; it is in the imperative, or command, form of the verb. It is interesting that HaShem chose to use a form of hag, rather than another word. By using v’hag-gotem I believe He is reminding us that these are His festivals and that we are to celebrate them His way.
The feasts are not merely something else to add to our calendars. They are His festivals on His appointed times
Let’s put all these concepts together.. G-d has issued an eternal decree that Passover is to be remembered and is to be celebrated or observed His way for all generations. Let us harken to the voice of the LORD: “…you shall celebrate it as a feast to the LORD; throughout your generations you are to celebrate it as a permanent ordinance,” Ex 12:14.
“O, mighty G-d, our redeemer, our Passover Lamb. Thank You!!! We love You! We bless You! We pray for Seders all over the world – that the focus will be on You. That we will each come away knowing more about You. Bring Your peace to Jerusalem – help Israel to stand firm. Protect her citizens and her borders. Turn the hearts of Americans to You. In Your holy Name, we pray.”
IMMEDIATE Prayer Requests:
- Pray for Israel!
- Protection of the persecuted church.
- Pray for Passover Seders – for HaShem to be understood by all in attendance
- Pray for the emotional turmoil of many around us.
- Sister-in-law (Les’a): healing of her kidneys and lungs – she’s a strong believer who has many complications from diabetes
- Unspoken: favor, truth, and righteous resolution.
- Deb: victory over overwhelming circumstances. Encouragement!! God will provide; prayer for wisdom and favor with all those involved in the decision-making. Protection from false accusations and that truth, victory, and peace will reign. That Deb’s spirit will be lifted up: that she will have the words and clarity of mind to accomplish what needs to be done. That there will be a miraculously successful outcome of fairness and provision for her future.
- Carla: continued healing.
- Grandson (Debbie in Houston): prayer for total health and healing.
- Sandie (Norm K’s cousin): healing, peace, and direction.
- Connie & Dorey (Rhonda & Norm): healing & restoration!
- Friend (Norman G): healing and salvation.
- Prayer for family whose young son died Wednesday.
- Marita (Israel): health and renewed vitality. Revitalization.
- Prayer for wisdom and favor as we encounter suffering people.
- Marriages: peace, harmony, serve G-d
- Cynthia (who’s relocated near family in Louisiana): favor for a job, healing for her sister, godly relationships
- Jobs: Pamela, Norman G., PJ, Natan and his new military assignment.
- REVIVAL IN AMERICA!
- REVIVAL in Arizona
- FRIENDS: many of our friends are hurting physically and emotionally.
- FAMILIES & MARRIAGES: strong, healthy and Christ-centered; spiritual, mental, and emotional healing. God will bring families together. Spirit of division will cease. Family relationships healed! Family members who are far off will return and serve God.
- PRAYER FOR OUR SOLDIERS: spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally whole!
- Protection of believers all over the world.
- Encouragement for the heavy-hearted